Monday, March 07, 2011

Instead of simply entertaining big ideas, empower groups to execute vision

A few years ago in Toronto, I was shocked by a seminar speaker who opened his keynote address by telling us, “Don’t believe a word I say.”  Why would he say that?  Because he was only speaking from his own experience.  And I say the same thing to you as you read my books, blogs, white papers, or other publications.  None of the concepts and insights I share are inherently true or false, right or wrong.  They simply reflect my own results, and the results I’ve seen in the dozens – even hundreds – of N-of-8 participants I’ve worked with.

Having said that, however, I do believe that if you use the principles, you will achieve true innovation.  Don’t just read the book.  Study it. Mark it up. Then try the exercises for yourself.  Whatever works, keep doing. Whatever doesn’t, you’re welcome to modify it.

I am no doubt biased when I say this, but when it comes to brand innovation, this tool has provided a missing link between my desire for change and my achievement of it.

No matter what market you’re in, your future success is being shaped by innovation occurring today.  Remember a time when you asked yourself, where did all those Starbucks come from?  And what happened to all the video stores?  And why do both Best Buy and Radio Shack exist? Same with Costco and 7-11.  Can you recall the first iPod you saw (or laptop computer, or Walkman, or mobile phone)?  Who thought these things up?  More important, how did the creative groups bring them to market.

N-of-8 principles can train you how.

It is specific, practical, linear, and intuitive – yet stretches your imagination.

You have to decide for yourself why you want a model for new ideas.  Here are a few goals clients have shared with me:
  1. Find new avenues to make money.
  2. Expand into new business opportunities.
  3. Modify existing ideas to create a more innovative and powerful idea.
  4. Design new products, services, and processes.
  5. Improve old products, services, and processes.
  6. Develop solutions to complex business problems.
  7. Revitalize stagnant markets.
  8. Learn to view problems as opportunities.
  9. Become more productive.
  10. Be the “idea person” in your organization.
  11. Know where to look for the “breakthrough idea.”
  12. Generate ideas at will.
  13. Become indispensable to your organization.
In my book, I will shed light on why some people, some teams, and some companies are moving beyond “creativity” and accomplishing such innovative results.

It’s because they have challenged their old approaches and have learned that these methods were in fact obstacles to innovation.  They have chosen not to simply entertain big ideas, but actually empower groups that can execute their vision.

No comments: